Valentine’s Day is the perfect time of year to fall in love with food with someone special.
You don’t have to spend hundreds of pounds to enjoy some delicious food with your romantic partner either. The lovely folks at HECK Sausages have a limited range of heart-shaped sausages which are available throughout February from Asda, Tesco and Waitrose.
Here’s a great recipe for you to try! If you do try it don’t forget to tweet us on @whosfordinner!
PECK heart sausage with Potato Rosti, Wilted Spinach and Mushroom Champagne Sauce
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 PECK Heart Sausages
275g New Potatoes, boiled for 5 minutes and grated
1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot or small onion halved and thinly diced
1 cloves garlic, crushed
110g baby chestnut mushrooms, sliced
150ml dry Champagne or Sparkling Wine
50ml vegetable stock
75ml crème Fraiche
85g Fresh Spinach
Sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Cook the PECK heart sausages under a medium grill for 18 – 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Heat ½ the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat, add the diced onions, garlic and mushrooms, fry 5 – 8 minutes until the onions and mushrooms are soft.
- Season the grated potatoes, divide into 2, dust hands with flour and bring the potatoes together to make 2 potato cakes. In another fry pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the potatoes over a medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Pour the stock and the Champagne into the pan with the mushrooms; increase the heat until the liquid is reduced to a 1/3.
- Combine the Crème Fraiche and seasoning in a small bowl and then add to the frying pan and stir until mixture has thickened.
- Place the spinach in a pan with 1 tbsp of boiling water, cover and cook for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the spinach to wilt down.
- Serve the potato rosti cake with the wilted spinach on top followed by the PECK heart sausage, spoon over the sauce and serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley and cracked black pepper.
For more information on PECK Sausages visit www.heckfood.co.uk