I had the pleasure of sampling some great quality ingredients by Thai Taste recently when they sent me a gift pack of samples from their product range. The brand has recently partnered with Thai restaurateur Seb Holmes to inspire foodies to create restaurant-quality Thai food at home and with such a wide variety of ingredients in their range, they make the task of home cooking thai food accessible to all. The packaging really stands out and I love the English to Thai translation of the names of ingredients which further highlights the authenticity of the brand.
I decided to try a crab & prawn vermicelli noodle salad which was my very first ever attempt and although as you can see it’s not quite perfect the taste was great. The ingredients do actually taste restaurant quality and you can taste the difference compared to other ready-made mixes found on supermarket shelves.
I accidentally left the noodles on boil for a few minutes before remembering that they were only supposed to be blanched hence the outcome of the dish looking more like a noodle soup than a salad (I’m nothing if I’m not authentic, open and honest with you all!). Next time I try this recipe I would use less mint next time and perhaps a fraction less coconut milk.
Crab & Prawn Vermicelli Noodle Salad
Serves: 2 (Gluten-free)
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 6 fresh tiger prawns, de-veined and sliced lengthways in half
- 50g fresh brown crab meat (white meat or a mixture is also delicious)
- 100g Thai Taste vermicelli noodles, blanched in boiling water for 10 minutes and then refreshed under cold water
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon coriander root (leave out if you can’t find)
- 1 tablespoon Thai Taste galangal
- 1 tablespoon Thai Taste turmeric paste
- 200ml, Thai Taste coconut milk
- 10g coriander, picked and washed
- 1 tsp Thai Taste Red Chilli paste
- 10g chives, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 10g mint, leaves torn slightly
- 20g peeled Thai shallots, sliced (any sweet shallot will be nice)
- 2 spring onion, cleaned and finely shredded
- 1 lime, chopped into cheeks
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Thai Taste fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai Taste palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or sunflower oil
- Mix the garlic, galangal, turmeric and red chilli paste together
- In a large pan or wok heat the vegetable oil on a medium to high heat and then fry this paste out, moving constantly to avoid it sticking to the pan. When the paste begins to turn golden brown in colour add the prawns and brown crab meat and continue to fry for a further 2-3 minutes until they are completely pink and hot throughout.
- At this stage add the fish sauce and the palm sugar and fry for a further 30 seconds to caramelise the sugar, you will notice that the paste begins to darken at this stage. Next add the coconut milk, blanched noodles, shallots, mint, coriander and chives and delicately toss everything together in the pan allowing the noodles, salad and prawns to all mix and be coated by the coconut sauce.
- Serve the noodles straight away in bowls with spoons and chop sticks and a cheek of lime, it’s also great with a good helping of Thai Taste sweet chilli sauce. This recipe makes enough for a hearty lunch, however this is an awesome dish to serve at dinner too, double the recipe if you want a bigger feed.
All of Thai Taste’s products are authentically Thai and can be found in the majority of supermarkets across the UK.