I enjoy wandering through the markets of this great city and one of my favourites is Broadway Market as it’s very close to where I grew up. I recently went for a visit with my sister and had a lovely day out. Located a stone’s throw away from Haggerston and just off London Fields, the Saturday market is full of delightful finds!
Here are 10 simple reasons that you should head down to Broadway Market.
1. It’s in Hackney. I was born in Hackney so needless to say that it must be a very special and amazing place.
2. It’s a seafood lovers dream, there are number of fishmonger stalls and shops as well as a great fish and chip shop or 2! I had some beautiful smoked salmon from the Hansen & Lydersen stall, for just £3 it is a mouthwateringly perfect snack.
3. You can drink yourself healthy! Aside from some smoothie stalls, we discovered The Gingerbeer Engine – which served freshly made gingerbeer, a perfect thirst quencher on a warm spring day!
4. It doesn’t just have food stands! There’s a great vintage stall which sells great quality vintage pieces every week. I picked up a retro clutch purse for £5, I love a good bargain. There are also stalls that sell books, crafts and kiddies clothes. There really is something for everyone.
5. There’s lots of cheese, lots and lots of cheese (which I love). I bought some brie for just 80p, which had a melt in the mouth texture and went well with fresh bread.
6. If you love olives or olive oil then you’ll be in heaven! In fact just off Broadway market we discovered “The Isle of Olive“, a store which specialises in selling Greek products including a vast array of olives! I bought some hummus to go with the fresh bread and cheese we had bought.
7. The market is sandwiched between an vast array of pubs, cafes and restaurants which means you can never be bored. One of my favourite steak restaurants, Buan Ayre is located in Broadway Market and after countless times of going there it has never disappointed me!
8. If you have a sweet tooth there are lots of great independent bakers, selling cakes, fudge, brownies, marshmallows and more.
9. If you love to cook you’ll find stalls that sell unusual ingredients, chutneys, sauces and marinades to experiment with at reasonable prices.
10. It’s not just for tourists. Broadway Market is a great local market and it’s perfect for all, so if you feel like being a tourist in your own city head down!