Shito sauce is one of my favourite sauces, having discovered it at a Ghanaian friend’s house many years ago and I have never forgotten that foodie experience. It is a deliciously sexy sauce made primarily using vegetable oil, ginger, dried fish/shrimp, garlic, tomato puree/paste, peppers, chilli flakes and spices and everyone should try it at least once!
Here are just a few reasons why:
- Shito Sauce goes with pretty much EVERYTHING! I eat it with plain boiled yam and have tried it with fried yam, fried plantain, boiled plantain, rice…you name it! Be creative and try it with something you like today, even if the combination doesn’t work at least it’s an excuse to eat shito sauce! Here’s a reenactment of me every time I eat something with shito sauce:
2. It looks beautiful in a jar (but better on a plate)! Take a look at this jar of shito made by Eat Jollof doesn’t this look like a work of art and can I just say for the record that it tastes as good as it looks. You could just stare at is as the oil glistens around the chilli flakes of passion, flirting with you to scoop a dollop up and devour it with your meal!
3. It is easy to buy! You can find it in your local major supermarket stocked in the “World Food” section as well as any African food provision stores so it’s easy to find and affordable, ranging from £2-£3 a jar depending on the brand and jar size.
4. It’s moreish! Once you open that jar you’re going to want to eat it again and again and again. This was a jar of Ghana’s Best Shito I bought from Tesco and I don’t think it lasted a week…but then again I was truly craving it so there was no way it was going to last long.
5. It is low maintenance and relatively easy to make and the ingredients can be purchased from most good quality supermarkets/local grocers. You might have to go to an African provisions food store to find certain items but the magic of the internet also means that you can order ingredients online! Click here for a great recipe from Freedes, Founder of My Burnt Orange. Here’s a video from Abena’s Kitchen, you can use it or just watch it as the recipe is brought life and flirts with you on your screen.
6. It’s saucy and spicy and quite simply a sensual delight for your taste buds! That’s all I have to say. If you must eat any sauce in this world at least once then you must eat SHITO!
Celebrating all things food-related.