Cypressa sent me a pack of pine kernels (also known as pine nuts) to review recently and initially I was going to go straight for the usual pesto recipe but remembered that I had done one recently. I realised that pine kernels can be used to add flavour and depth to very simple dished and found this simple Spinach with Pine Kernels with Garlic recipe that anyone can try.
- 1kg fresh spinach, or 500g frozen leaf spinach (I used Frozen)
- 3 tbsp pine nuts/kernels
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- Place frozen spinach in a large pan of water and bring to the oil, stirring occasionally to ensure spinach is cooked. Be sure not to overcook.
- If using fresh spinach, make sure you wash the spinach thoroughly and place in a large pan. Pour over a little boiling water, cover and cook for 2-3 mins, until the leaves have wilted.
- Tip spinach into a colander and drain well.
- Meanwhile heat the oil, add the pine nuts and fry until golden – be careful to ensure that the heat is not set too highly as the nuts brown very quickly. Add the garlic and fry briefly, then stir in the spinach and stir until heated through.
Simple, yet delicious and perfect to go as a a healthy side dish with any meal.
Visit http://www.cypressa.co.uk/ for more details.